At their meeting on 4th March 2020, the Clergy of the Northumberland Vicariate discussed the Coronavirus outbreak, including independent medical advice.
The Clergy unanimously agreed that, until further notice, the following precautions will be taken in all the churches within the Northumberland Partnerships.
• The distribution of Holy Communion under both kinds is suspended.
• Holy Communion will be distributed in the hand only.
• Clergy and Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist are to wash their hands in hot soapy water or use sanitised gel before and after they distribute Holy Communion.
• The Sign of Peace is suspended.
• Holy Water stoups will be emptied and/or removed.
• Everyone attending Mass is asked to sanitise their hands as they come into church using sanitised gel dispensers available in porches and entrances.
• Everyone is asked to maintain good personal hygiene, especially at Mass and parish gatherings.
Bishop Robert Byrne has been informed of these arrangements and has given his approval.
If you have any concerns or questions, please speak to your priest or Deacon.